Sunday, April 26, 2009

Unite 3 Portfolio Author's Note

As a whole, I think this portfolio developed my issue of gun control at schools from the letter to the editor, to the op-ed, and to the humorous piece clearly. My target audience is a newspaper like the Wall Street Journal because the target audience for them is a more moderate crowd. I specifically chose this newspaper to focus on because I am not completely anti-gun, unlike many liberal leaning people are, but I am anti-gun in schools, unlike many more conservative people are. I am concerned that by stance will not appeal to everyone who would read the Wall Street Journal, but I am confident that it would appeal to the majority of its readers.
I think my letter to the editor was able to criticize Vertuno's piece in an appropriate manner with examples and my own personal experience. I think I might have been perhaps too critical towards the end, but I made sure to criticize what he wrote, not him as a person.
My op-ed piece I think provides a lot of "what ifs" to really get my audience thinking instead of just reading. I tried to put the reader in the situation so that they could fully grasp possible scenarios and the severity of this issue. I put the Texas flag backwards on purpose because I wanted to prove that this legislation is not appropriate and wrong.
My humor piece was the most frustrating piece to finish. I had all these ideas but could not seem to put them on paper in a way that flowed. I cannot draw, and even though I know we are not being graded for our artistic ability, I think my lack of ability might hinder my argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment