Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Humor-author's note

For my humorous piece I am arguing against guns on school campuses. I chose to do a comic of a preschool, Sunshine Elementary. All the 4 year olds are holding a gun and have ammo in around their waists. The shooting range is in the foreground with a teacher saying "I will give extra credit to the person who hits the bull' eye the most" and another teacher saying " does anyone need more ammo?". There is a rules list above the gun target that says everyone must be under 5 years old, own a AK-47, and be enrolled in Sunshine Elementary.There is also a sign that says BYOG-bring your own gun next to the Texas flag.
I hope that I have been able to display my argument without many words. This is my second draft but my drawings are still not adequate, yet. The only concern of mine is that I might be offending teachers, who might not necessarily be pro-gun either. I do not want people to react too sensitively because of the anniversary of Columbine being yesterday, and with Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois still recent tragedies, I do not want to hurt anyone.

7 comments:

  1. I think that the idea of your humerous piece was really thoughtful and funny! It seems like it's a really good fit for the audience you are targeting. Maybe you can put a little more detail into your drawings, and it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you had a very creative topic as well as humorous arguement. I liked how you included the "rules" along with the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you had a creative take on the situation with the NRA by taking it further and exaggerating it so that the humor was obvious. I probably would spend a little more time improving the sketch, either make it all color or keep it black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your topic could be expressed a little more clearly in your humorous argument. From looking at the cartoon I had trouble understanding. But the idea is really good and I liked your drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The drawing works, I think if you move the "BYOG" line to the top corner so it's like "BYOG TO PE DAY: GUN RANGE RULES" it would be funny and people would make the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a good job of pulling off the dark humor of a sensitive subject such as gun control, especially when related to kids. I thought you did a great job, and you could improve it by adding color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the "BYOG" part, very funny. You might work on the positioning of some of the statements on the picture.

    ReplyDelete