Monday, March 2, 2009

Prewrite Questions

What is connecting your sources?

The idea that study abroad affects a student’s education, not just in college, but for the rest of their lives, especially their potential careers. And how such a personal experience can connect people to cultures they never could have imagined before. Also, how it affects not only students, but countries and their individual economies and how the rest of the world views them. The more students who want to visit a certain country, the better that particular country looks to every other country. What is so special about that country? Also, the economy and how a few thousand students make a big difference in the GDP and other reliable financial analysis.

Controlling idea?

The study abroad experience though unique to every person and his or her personal journey, allows for a cultural exploration and a discovery beyond the traditional accepted cultural norms. Every student’s experience is valued not only as an experience, but as economically stimulating.

Order of sources? Effective?

I would organize my sources by their specific points. I would most likely start with the general experiences, with the percentages from the International Institute of Education Opinion piece by Michael Adams. I think it gives a good starting point for my general idea because it shows both the good and the bad of the United States’ current situation and how if specifically affects the students. There is a good deal of statistical information mixed with his current view of out eco crisis.

The second source I would use would most likely be to elaborate on the first; it is by Philip Altbach and simply elaborates on the reason the American opportunity is dwindling. I might combine these two witin the same section.

The third source I would use would be TCU’s study abroad testimonials available on TCU’s website. These statements are very straight forward and clearly describe college students’ experience within a familiar community. I think this narrows my focus to an audience that everyone at TCU can relate to.

The fourth source would be the personal interview with two current exchange students from Holland. I have been able to interact with them and have the describe their personal experiences here not only in the United States, but also Texas, and even more specifically, TCU. Hearing it straight from their mouths I am able to interpret their feelings about this experience and compare it to the facts and data. It allows the audience to relate as more.

I think that having a mix between personal experiences and factual statistics creates a well balanced analysis. I might decide to switch it up and alternate between personal and fact sources depending on how paper begins to flow.

Transition?
From source 1-2 they talk about very similar things so I think I simply be able to use a word like similarly, and then talk about the next source.
From 2-3 I would talk about how a country’s experience is similar and different from that of an individual and then use those testimonials. I think this will be the most difficult because I have to go from interpreting study abroad as a beneficial economic stimulus for countries to personal experiences. I think with the comparison approach though, that I will be able to smoothly crate a transition.

From 3-4 I will be able to elaborate upon a testimonials to an actual specific experience. Going from TCU students going to other places and reporting back, to foreign students coming to TCU and how their experience has and will shape them.

I think there will a natural flow because I start off big and end up small; I might however start small and end up big.

No comments:

Post a Comment