Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Letter to the Editor draft

Dear Editor,

In Jim Vertuno’s March 29, 2009 article “Guns on Campus: Bills would allow guns at college”, he argues that college campuses would be safer if licensed people carried concealed weapons. Many advocators seem to think the college boundaries do not really prevent anything to begin with. To most people, there seems to be an obvious clash between guns and students, but not for the Texas State Legislature which is one of the seven states considering passing a law in favor of guns at schools.
Texas already has the reputation for being gun-friendly and while perhaps, having those responsible enough to have a gun on campus could protect the innocent, if an outraged shooter did attack, God forbid like at Virginia Tech; the costs still out way the benefits. While I understand that we all have the Constitutional right, according the Second Amendment, to posses a firearm, this should not apply to schools. The law does not protect those outraged killers who pick a campus and target innocent people to murder. Nor does it protect those who target an office or a hospital. I think that guns should be left with law enforcement, secured at home, or lodged in between a person’s hands while hunting.
I have fired a gun many times and each time, I am amazed at the amount of damage a push of a trigger can really do so someone or something. I personally own a gun and have never felt like my rights were being infringed upon because I could not bring it to school. If I walked around campus and saw a person with a gun in their coat, concealed or not, I would immediately think it is a gunman, not someone who is licensed to carry a weapon. If students are allowed to carry guns, what is stopping teachers, janitors, even potential students from bringing a gun to school? Perhaps a future student is taking a campus tour and they decide that they do not want to attend this particular school because of their gun policy? This would be a huge deterrent for universities and their income.
Though I do not agree with Vertuno’s article, I do think he was able to make some valid points with his quotes from advocates. My only concern, being a current college student, would be that I would not be able to adjust to where guns are allowed and where they are not. Sure police would be expected to have a gun and maybe even campus security at large events like football games. But how would students react to seeing their teacher walk in with a gun around his or her waist? How intimidating would that be and how would that affect the classroom environment? It is not simply about our second amendment right to own a gun; it is about the safety of school and students.
There has to be a distinction between what is appropriate for safety and what makes those who own guns feel like they can make other safe. A gun is a scary object, not something to be handled lightly by anyone and this includes law enforcement. When it comes down to it, every gun loaded or not, has the potential to if not kill, seriously hurt someone. Even cops make mistakes, but a mistake at school can cost students their lives, and for what? So that those who are licensed to carry gun, many of whom are no longer in school, can demonstrated their second amendment right?
Tara Finn
Texas Christian University

Author’s note

This is my first draft and I am not sure if I approached this the correct way. I think I was trying to say that I am not anti-guns, but anti- guns at school. I am unsure of how personal to be and how to balance that with facts from the article. I do not know if this is the correct format and would love the help! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment