Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chapter 1

While I was reading I was surprised to hear that everything can be an argument. I thought it was interesting how there are different types of arguing that can produce different effects and how pictures can lead one to conclusions as well. I began to understand the different types of arguments that vary from each other including: arguments to make decisions, arguments to pray(which seemed the most unusual to me), arguments to explore and arguments to persuade or convince. There are also appropriate times for all of these various arguments and situations that make one argument a better choice than another. Aristotle's three forms of rhetoric pathos, egos, logos were also discussed in chapter one.

Disagree:
Prayer as an argument seemed odd to me because I do not see how an individual thought can be an argument. Prayer is usually a reflective process that tries to calm and relax the one participating. Making an argument during prayer seemed contradictory because the vary nature of this process. Not everything has to be an argument simply for argument's sake, especially prayer and meditation. I can maybe understand how someone could advocate for prayer but I cannot see the action itself as an argument. It is something that happens in the mind of someone, not an action for others to argue.

No comments:

Post a Comment